Investment in carbon reduction
The balance between state and market
Over the weekend, Labour agreed to back the Lib Dem proposals for free school meals.
After pressure from the party’s grass roots at the National Policy Forum, Labour agreed to endorse the policy which was announced by Nick Clegg last year.
Free school meals are expected to benefit 1.5 million children between the ages of four and seven, greatly improving their health, behaviour and results.
Thanks to Lib Dems in Government, the policy will take affect in September and will become one of the most important changes in our education system for a generation.
New rules which would provide greater choice and more innovative pensions products, are expected to be announced this week.
The coalition wants to encourage pension providers to develop new retirement income products that are tailored to the needs of the individual consumer and which offer more choice, freedom and flexibility.
Today (21 July), the government is expected to publish its response to the consultation ‘Freedom and Choice in Pensions’.
As part of its response the coalition is expected to announce changes to the tax rules that govern the pension products firms can sell.
It is expected that the coalition will announce the following intentions:
- To allow people to receive varying levels of income throughout the lifetime of their annuity.
- To allow lump sums to be taken from lifetime annuities where specified and agreed with circumstances – for example if care needs arise – providing certainty that the person’s income is flexible enough to meet sudden costs.
- To change the rules regarding payments from annuities after death – so that people can buy products which will guarantee some of their income is returned to their family if they die.
I received this email off Jo Swinson MP late yesterday and thought I’d share it with you….
Have to say from a motorists point of view it’s far more noticeable. There has been some good feedback already from pedestrians.
Just to remind you, the old Pelican Crossing developed a fault a couple of weekends ago which proved to be terminal. The decision was made to upgrade the control lights to a Puffin crossing…
Willenhall North Lib Dem Focus Team members Cllr Ian Shires and Carol Fletcher continue to provide their regular Advice Surgeries. This week we will be at the following locations:
This week members of the team will be at the following locations to listen to your views and help you with issues you might have with the Council, Walsall Housing Group and other Public Agencies.
- This Friday the venue is The Lighthouse Children’s Centre, Davis Road, New Invention 7 pm to 8 pm
- Saturday the venue will be New Invention Library, The Square, Lichfield Road, New Invention between11.30 am to 12 noon