Ian Shires

Liberal Democrat Councillor for Willenhall North Ward, Liberal Democrat Group Leader, Walsall MBC Learn more

Read more on this

Read more on this

Taking a stand against post-Brexit racism

by Ian Shires on 22 July, 2016

Published on Liberal Democrat Voice By Lester Holloway | Thu 21st July 2016 – 2:03 pm Tim Farron has rightly taken a stand against the upsurge of race hate crimes post-Brexit, but as a party Liberal Democrats need to develop a coherent response that does more than state how repellent racism is or how much […]

Read more    Leave a comment

Tales from Cleveland, Ohio…Part One

by Ian Shires on 22 July, 2016

Published on Liberal Democrat Voice By Hannah Bettsworth | Thu 21st July 2016 – 12:00 pm I’ve had the opportunity to go out to Cleveland, Ohio to campaign for Hillary Clinton for the next two weeks. My friends Ryan and James are out there working as campaign fellows and I thought that it would be […]

Read more    Leave a comment

Brexit: The betting on what will happen next

by Ian Shires on 22 July, 2016

Published on Liberal Democrat Voice By Paul Walter | Thu 21st July 2016 – 10:55 am CGP Grey is an Irish American You Tuber and podcaster. He’s done some excellent animated YouTube videos which explain complex issues very quickly. I recommend viewing his masterpiece on what would happen if the USA’s presidential electoral college is tied, […]

Read more    Leave a comment

Tories downgrade youth policy

by Ian Shires on 21 July, 2016

Published on Liberal Democrat Voice By Mathew Hulbert | Wed 20th July 2016 – 4:47 pm I was astonished and saddened to discover this week that the Government appears to have downgraded the importance it gives to Youth Policy. The ministerial role in which Youth Policy is included, the Civil Society brief, has been moved by […]

Read more    Leave a comment

EURef: UK stripped of 2017 EU Council Presidency

by Ian Shires on 21 July, 2016

Published on Liberal Democrat Voice By Antony Hook | Wed 20th July 2016 – 6:30 pm The Presidency of the European Council rotates between the member states who hold it for 6 months at a time.  The UK was due to hold the Presidency in the second half of 2017. Some people expected David Cameron’s pledge […]

Read more    2 Comments

Published on Liberal Democrat Voic By NewsHound | Wed 20th July 2016 – 9:51 pm In his first few hours as our EU Spokesperson, we’ve had more sense from Nick Clegg than we’ve had from the whole government in the four awful weeks since the referendum. Tonight he was on Radio 4’s PM programme saying that […]

Read more    Leave a comment

Life goes on in spite of Brexit

by Ian Shires on 28 June, 2016

Whilst other local councillors seem to be more interested in celebrating the result of last week’s referendum or are in turmoil over who should lead their Party post Brexit your Liberal Democrat Focus Team get on with the job you elected us to do, represent your interests on Walsall Council. Over the last week Liberal […]

Read more    Leave a comment

Dear Friend “Like many people, I am devastated and I am angry. The European referendum has left us a deeply divided country. “Young people voted to remain by a considerable margin. Millions more voted to give today’s young people the best possible future. But sadly they were out-voted. “That’s why our fight for an open, […]

Read more    Leave a comment

The people have decided, but with a deeply divided voice to leave the European Union. When the final result was announced around breakfast time this morning it emerged that 52% had voted in favour of leaving the EU whilst 48% wanting to stay. If this had been an opinion poll it would have been said it was to close […]

Read more    2 Comments

More misery for residents and motorists in Short heath as burst pipe on the toucan crossing near the junction of Cornwall Gate with Lucknow Road sends cascades of water into the road. Our eyes and ears in the area have been onto Severn Trent as low water pressure is affecting a large area. Severn Trent are supposed […]

Read more    4 Comments